01 February 2010

My Heritage, Your Heritage, Our Heritage

What does the word "heritage" mean to you? It is a question I asked in my By Any Other Name blog back in October last year. 


Here is a link there:


In Australia, my husband and I are members of the National Trust, a very important heritage organisation. Our membership gives us free access to many interesting places, not just in Australia but in other parts of the world, too, especially Britain.





Australia's heritage is very important on a world scale because it is unique. There has never been a revolution or civil war here. Most of the history of European settlement has been underpinned, at least in principle, on the rule of law. The Aboriginal heritage of Australia has been based on unwritten tribal laws for thousands of years.



A very important part of my own heritage includes my family's experiences of the home front in Britain during the Second World War. I learned to appreciate the simple things in life because my parents and grandparents knew how to mend and make do when times were hard. It has also developed in me a strong aversion to wastefulness.




Perhaps my experiences of growing up were influenced by the food rationing system of the war, even though my early childhood was in the more prosperous 1960s. I remember that sweets and cakes were special treats. My siblings and I could have no more than two biscuits at a time. Fizzy drinks were mainly just for birthday parties.

I am glad I had a healthy, nutritious diet when I was growing up, being taught the difference between good food and indulgent luxuries. Today, some former luxuries are cheaper than good food, which can cause quite a lot of confusion in some people's minds!


Did you know that the American Revolution may have been mainly a response from rich colonists who were resentful of the taxes on the luxuries they like to enjoy?



Some people seem to consider heritage a luxury but there is an increasing awareness around the world that it is a necessity. This may be especially evident from the growing numbers of people who are taking an interest in their own heritage.  Does the idea of heritage give you a sense of belonging?

I have recently received a very nice email from MyHeritage.com. Are you a user of its services? If so, please let me know about your experiences.

If you are yet to explore the offerings of MyHeritage.com, here are a couple of links you may find interesting:



Well, this is a very long blog post for the beginning of a new month, so I hope you will enjoy exploring the links in the coming weeks and months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I especially appreciate historical insights.