28 January 2009

Identity Across the Centuries

Although I do not like to reveal too much about myself online, for reasons of privacy, I like to reflect upon my life and my journey into existence in the world.



Memories...

In my mid teens, I travelled to and from school each day by ferry between the Isle of Skye and the Scottish mainland. North American tourists in search of their family heritage would sometimes be aboard, wistfully wondering if their great great grandparents had lived in a castle.







Most migrants, as it turns out, had rather squalid accommodation in their homelands. Their homes and the land were not even their own, as far as the laws of the time were concerned. So where is home? I always felt as though I was an "outsider" on the Isle of Skye and have never thought of it as home. Where is home to you?


Wikipedia - Isle of Skye

Wikipedia - The Skye Boat Song



Heritage...

What is the relationship between work and home? My maternal line originates in Shropshire, around the East Shropshire Coalfield, in fact. This was where the Industrial Revolution had its main impetus. My maternal ancestors, male and female, adults and children, were mainly poor farm labourers and poor coal miners.

How might they have formed their identity? Was it through work or home, or was it through the relationships they cherished with those around them?



For more about identity...

...you might like to visit my By Any Other Name blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I especially appreciate historical insights.